Skip to main content

UFC's Gilbert Burns says he'd 'destroy' Belal Muhammad in rematch if healthy

Gilbert Burns believes he would’ve easily beaten Belal Muhammad had he not been compromised.

Burns (22-6 MMA, 15-6 UFC) lost a lopsided unanimous decision to Muhammad this past May at UFC 288, where he suffered a torn left shoulder early in the fight. Burns is eager to run things back with Muhammad (23-3 MMA, 14-3 UFC) someday and vows the outcome will be drastically different if he got the chance.

Muhammad also revealed that he entered their fight with a sprained ankle.

“One hundred percent me healthy, I would destroy Belal Muhammad, and I would get that win back,” Burns told TMZ. “I don’t know if it’s going to happen right now, but it’s going to happen, and I’ll show everybody that I’m way better than him.”

Burns avoided surgery, and is now ready to jump into a training camp and book a fight, preferably in one of the upcoming pay-per-views early next year.

“I’m clear, no pain, shoulder is moving good,” Burns said. “All range of motion is back, strength. I’d say anything March or April. UFC 299 or UFC 300, I’ll be ready to go.”

If Burns could pick, he’d love to fight Colby Covington, who challenges welterweight champion Leon Edwards for the title in the UFC 296 headliner on Dec. 16 in Las Vegas. “Durinho” is picking Edwards to win.

“I would love to fight Colby,” Burns said. “I still got to wait for a lot of things to happen, but I think Leon Edwards is going to get the win. But who knows when he’s going to come back or when either one of these guys is going to come back? That would be my No. 1 pick.”



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/X50dTch
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...