Skip to main content

2023 PFL heavyweight champion Renan Ferreira makes case for Francis Ngannou debut fight

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Renan Ferreira wants to be the man standing across the cage from Francis Ngannou when he makes his PFL debut in 2024.

At 2023 PFL Championship, Ferreira (12-4) won the heavyweight title with a second-round TKO of Denis Goltsov. Now that he has gold around his waist and the $1 million prize that came along with it, the 6-foot-8 Brazilian heavyweight wants to be the first to fight former UFC champion Francis Ngannou under the PFL banner.

“For me, this fight makes sense because I’m the best heavyweight in the world, and I’m the right guy to welcome him to the PFL,” Ferreira told MMA Junkie through an interpreter.

Ngannou has many options to choose from in his PFL MMA debut following a close split decision loss to WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury in his professional boxing debut. Ferreira would be an opponent of similar height to that of Fury, who stands at 6-foot-9, although their athleticism and body types are different.

“Promblema” vs. “The Predator” has a nice ring to it for Ferreira, who expects the potential matchup against Ngannou to be spectacular.

“This is going to be a crash between two strong trucks,” Ferreria said. “We have aggressive skills, and I’m very excited for this fight.”

If Ferreira doesn’t get the fight against Ngannou, he may find himself fighting another champion in Bellator’s heavyweight king Ryan Bader. Since purchasing Bellator, the PFL has begun teasing a big event pitting the two promotion’s champions against each other sometime in 2024.

Ferreira isn’t opposed to fighting Bader, but it’s not his first choice.

“I prefer to face off against Francis, but I’m a good employee of the organization,” Ferreira said. “I can fight against Bellator’s champion, and I’ll be ready for that.”

For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s event hub for 2023 PFL Championship.



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/k39PruT
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...