Skip to main content

Report: Khamzat Chimaev has torn ligament after UFC 294, not broken hand

Khamzat Chimaev’s road to the UFC middleweight title may have gotten a speed bump.

The unbeaten contender, presumed to be next in line for new champion Sean Strickland after his win over Kamaru Usman at UFC 294, will be out for at least a month with a torn ligament in his hand, according to a report from UFC broadcast partner ESPN.

After his win over Usman (20-4 MMA, 15-3 UFC), a unanimous decision in Abu Dhabi eight days ago, Chimaev (13-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) said he thought he broke his right hand. But his manager told ESPN he’ll be in a brace for four weeks, then will see how the hand feels.

Strickland (28-5 MMA, 15-5 UFC) pulled off a major upset when he outworked Israel Adesanya for a lopsided unanimous decision to win the title at UFC 293 in September. He was vocal after Chimaev’s win over Usman that his likely next opponent hadn’t done enough, in his estimation, to warrant a title shot – particularly because he was fighting an opponent who was debuting in the weight class on less than two weeks’ notice.

Now, regardless of whether or not he thinks Chimaev is a worthy first challenger, he’ll have to wait an extra month for his return if that’s indeed who his opponent will be.

Chimaev’s win over Usman was his first at middleweight in more than three years. Two wins after that were at welterweight, and a third was at a 180-pound catchweight after he came in so far north of the 170-pound limit at UFC 279 that it required a change of opponent and a bump out of the main event to the co-feature and a win over Kevin Holland.

Now intentionally at 185 pounds, Chimaev may have no issues if his ligament tear truly winds up being just a monthlong setback. But the longer Strickland waits, the more likely it is the name Dricus Du Plessis will start to get mentioned.

UFC officials have not commented on Chimaev’s injury, a timetable for his return or any other plans for Strickland.



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/zJeQYox
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

Max Griffin offended by booking against Michael Morales: 'They're sending a guy that they think can beat me'

LAS VEGAS – Max Griffin is not exactly happy with his matchup against Michael Morales . The 37-year-old welterweight veteran is set to take on Michael Morales on the main card of Saturday’s UFC on ESPN 47 at the UFC Apex. This booking made Griffin (19-9 MMA, 7-7 UFC) feel like he’s been set up to be a stepping stone for Morales (14-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who’s unbeaten and just 24 years old – and that has Griffin fuming. “I have a thing for these new guys: I get offended,” Griffin told reporters at Wednesday’s UFC on ESPN 47 media day. “So it’s another guy, 14-0, fought Trevin Giles. That was a terrible fight from Trevin Giles. He beat him in the beginning but burned his arms out, getting sloppy, and got knocked out. … He (Morales) ain’t fought nobody. It’s not even about who y’all fought, but I am me. I am him. I’m not the guy you want to fight when you’re that raw, that new.” Although there’s something to be said about Morales’s promise and rise, Griffin is not getting caught in a ba...

Bellator 290 post-event facts: Ryan Bader keeps perfect rematch record

The first Bellator event of 2023, Bellator 290 , went down Saturday at Kia Forum in Inglewood, Calif., and it marked a monumental occasion for both the promotion and the sport. In addition to being the organization’s debut showcase on CBS, the card marked the retirement fight of legendary former PRIDE champion Fedor Emelianenko (40-7 MMA, 4-3 BMMA), who suffered a first-round TKO loss to heavyweight titleholder Ryan Bader (31-7 MMA, 9-2 BMMA) in their main event rematch. The co-headliner saw middleweight champion Johnny Eblen (13-0 MMA, 9-0 BMMA) remain undefeated with a unanimous decision win over Anatoly Tokov (31-3 MMA, 7-1 BMMA) for his first title defense. For more on the numbers behind the title bouts, as well as the rest of the card, check below for MMA Junkie’s post-event facts from Bellator 290. from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/9YPBuqA via IFTTT

Video: Oli Thompson lands devastating first-round knockout punch on Aleksei Oleinik in Russia

Aleksei Oleinik returned to action for the first time since his UFC exit, but things did not go in his favor. In the main event of REN TV Fight Club at Dynamo Volleyball Arena in Moscow, Russia, Oleinik (60-17-1 MMA) faced fellow UFC veteran Oli Thompson in a heavyweight bout. The result was a violent finish that left Oleinik staring up at the lights. Thompson (21-16 MMA) unleashed a crushing right hand that sent Oleinik crashing to the canvas with 35 seconds remaining in the opening round. Check out video of the finish below (via Twitter ): Oli Thompson destroys Alexey Oleynik with a massive right hand in the first round pic.twitter.com/AdWy25dQxR — caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) May 26, 2023 Thompson, 43, returned to the win column for the first time since 2020, snapping a four-fight losing skid. His last victory was also a first-round stoppage; a 23-second knockout of Szymon Bajor at Fight Exclusive Night 28 on June 13, 2020. Oleinik, 45, competed in his final UFC bout in Octo...