Skip to main content

Conor McGregor: Oleksandr Usyk an ask for Tyson Fury, but he's not 'as powerful as Francis Ngannou'

Conor McGregor thinks Francis Ngannou has unique power – even as a boxer.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Ngannou knocked down Tyson Fury, but lost a close split decision in their crossover boxing match Saturday in Saudi Arabia.

McGregor commended Fury for withstanding Ngannou’s power and doesn’t see his next opponent, Oleksandr Usyk, presenting the same type of danger in their title-unification bout.

“I’ll tell you what, heavyweight boxing is awesome and add Ngannou into that mix now because there will be no trouble to make Ngannou-(Anthony) Joshua, Ngannou-(Derek) Chisora here beside me,” McGregor told TNT Sports Boxing. “There will be no issue. … There’s another heavyweight contender in the mix in Ngannou. Well done.

“Tyson has a chin on him – Jesus Christ. Usyk is an ask now, but I don’t think Usyk is as powerful as Ngannou. I’m telling you, Ngannou has been sending heads to the ceiling in mixed martial arts. See those uppercuts in the clinch?”

McGregor thinks Fury also deserves credit for venturing into the unknown of boxing a debuting Ngannou.

“Great fight,” McGregor said. “Francis was strong, structured, patient. Tyson didn’t know what was coming and how to deal with him or what to expect, so you have to take your hat off to Tyson Fury.

“Reigning king of boxing, heavyweight division, comes against an unknown, strong power puncher, more of a striker than a mixed martial artist in Francis Ngannou – fair play to both men. The fans won that. Who won between them? The fans. That’s it. I don’t care. Business.”

For more on the matchup, visit MMA Junkie’s event hub for Fury vs. Ngannou.



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/zBy6vfT
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...