Skip to main content

Why Danielle Kelly chose to sign with ONE Championship over other grappling promotions

Competitive grappling has changed a ton in recent years. Now, more than ever, athletes are able to make money competing, as there’s a bigger appetite for the sport and there are many opportunities for grapplers.

Danielle Kelly, one of the most popular female grapplers today, is one of several top jiu-jitsu athletes who have chosen to sign with combat sports promotion ONE Championship. These deals are exclusive, making it an interesting choice given the many options in promotions today.

For Kelly, who returns on Sept. 29 in a rematch against Jessa Khan for the inaugural ONE women’s atomweight submission grappling title, signing with ONE Championship was a no-brainer.

“Well, for the first thing, ONE has come out with submission grappling strictly,” Kelly told MMA Junkie. “They have different Muay Thai, kickboxing, MMA and the newest is grappling. I was the first women’s grappling match, which is really cool. I got provided with the opportunity and I felt I could grow the division. I feel like my name, everyone is calling me out, I feel like I’m not “the face of women’s grappling” but I sort of am and that’s why I feel like I can help out bringing women’s sports and views to the grappling matches because most casuals, which kind of sucks, most casuals think jiu-jitsu matches are boring in general. …

“Also, I feel like ONE is trying to push women’s jiu-jitsu and fighting, whereas other promotions they’re not pushing women’s jiu-jitsu, it’s just the guys, and me being a girl, I like that. ONE is pushing women’s sports.”

One of Kelly’s main reasons relies on ONE Championship’s grappling rule set. She thinks they’re making it more appealing for the general masses with the way they’re presenting it.

She thinks that’s been an area many promotions have failed, as their ruleset doesn’t attract non-grappling viewers.

“When you watch regular, I can’t say other jiu-jitsu tournaments, but their rules, and they pull double guard, and sometimes they just don’t care about takedowns,” Kelly explained. “The casual viewer that watches MMA, they find that really boring, and I feel like with ONE they want you to push the pace. They don’t want you to sit on your butt anymore and try to stall.

“To a hobbyist that’s in jiu-jitsu, they understand those rules. But to a casual, they’ll think it’s boring. So it’s a balance with jiu-jitsu. MMA is always exciting to a casual, so jiu-jitsu is still trying to get up there.”



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/qOChc56
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...