Skip to main content

Stamp Fairtex proud of three-sport ONE champion status especially given humble beginnings

If she wasn’t already a star, Stamp Fairtex seemingly solidified her status Friday when she became a three-sport titleholder in ONE Championship, a rare feat

Fairtex (11-2) danced her way to the cage at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Kallang, before she handled business and finished UFC alumnus Seo Hee Ham (26-9) in Round 3 of the ONE Fight Night 14 headliner. The win earned her the ONE Championship 115-pound title, which was vacated minutes earlier by Angela Lee’s impromptu retirement.

“I feel very proud and happy that I have achieved the three-sport world titles today,” Fairtex said at a virtual post-fight news conference. “I think I’m the only woman and I’m the first person who has achieved this title.”

The MMA title joins the promotion’s kickboxing title and muay Thai title in Fairtex’s collection. As if the completed trifecta wasn’t special enough, Fairtex received the torch from her idol (and former opponent) Lee in the cage after the fight.

“I was very overwhelmed because it was like Angela herself passing on her belt to me, to receive this championship title,” Fairtex said. “I remember the last time I had a fight with her. She told me herself I would be the next champ, which I feel very honored for that.”

The victory, for Fairtex, would be less significant if not for her journey to get there. Joined by her mother in the cage after the fight and backstage for media obligations, Fairtex couldn’t help but reflect on her humble beginnings and how they shaped her.

“My family, when I grew up, we were poor,” Fairtex said. “We didn’t have a lot in financials. … That’s how I realized I only have my family. My family is all I had, and they will always be there for me.”

Fairtex sported a mouse under her right eye at Friday’s news conference but otherwise appeared to be in good physical condition. As for what or who is next, Fairtex welcomes all comers – after some time off.

“At the moment, I’m not thinking of anyone next,” Fairtex said. “I’d like to take a break, rest, and spend time with my family first. Actually, I’d love to fight with anyone who is on the way. I don’t really mind.”



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/6EaBMKd
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...