Skip to main content

'Really depressed' by Bobby Green no contest, Jared Gordon relieved to get UFC on ESPN 45 short-notice call

LAS VEGAS – Jared Gordon can breathe a little easier knowing he won’t have to dwell too long on his latest misfortune.

Things haven’t been easy for the UFC lightweight veteran, who’s coming off a controversial decision loss to UFC star Paddy Pimblett and most recently a no contest ruling after he was accidentally headbutted and knocked out by Bobby Green in April (the fight was ruled a no contest).

Gordon (19-6 MMA, 7-5 UFC) admits things haven’t been going well, and that’s been hurting him.

“I was lost for a little bit after Bobby,” Gordon said at UFC on ESPN 45 media day on Wednesday. “I was really depressed. I was down on myself. I was like, ‘None of this is worth it.’ I was having a pity party for like two weeks, but then I got this call. Everything happens for a reason. Everything aligns the way it’s supposed to align.”

Gordon takes on veteran Jim Miller on Saturday at UFC on ESPN 45, which takes place at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. The card airs on ESPN and streams on ESPN+.

Gordon wasn’t originally scheduled to be on the card, but he got the call to fill in for Ludovit Klein to take on Miller (35-17 MMA, 24-16 UFC) on short notice. This was the best thing that could’ve happened to Gordon at this point in time.

“After the last two, I was like, ‘What’s going on here? Why is this happening to me?,'” Gordon said. “And yeah, I was messaging my manager, ‘What’s next? What’s next?’ And he was like, ‘Oh, take a little time off and fight in October.’ I was like, ‘October? That’s like six months away.’ Then two days later he calls me and was like, ‘You want to fight in 17 days?’ So yeah, I was definitely itching to get back in there, and here I am.”

For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s event hub for UFC on ESPN 45.



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/EwzQ8PD
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...