Skip to main content

Extremely motivated Tom Aspinall describes himself as a 'completely different' person after knee surgery

UFC heavyweight contender Tom Aspinall is preparing to make his second consecutive walk to the O2 Arena for a marquee bout, but he says this time a completely different version of himself will be inside the cage.

At UFC Fight Night 208 last July, Aspinall suffered a nasty knee injury after attempting a hard leg kick on Curtis Blaydes, which resulted in MCL and meniscus tears, and ACL damage. The injuries required surgery and physical therapy to get back on track, which he admits was a frustrating process. Now Aspinall is ready for action, and anxious to correct the record when he steps into the same octagon on July 22 to face Marcin Tybura in London.

“I feel like I need to go back to the O2 Arena and absolutely spark someone,” Aspinall told BT Sport. “And I’m itching to do it to like right that wrong. I want to knock someone out in the O2 Arena. … I couldn’t be happier that they’re putting me on the O2, as a main event as well. The same spot that it happened. Almost a year later to the day.

“I’ve got a lot to prove, I’ve got a chip on my shoulder and these heavyweights are in for a bad time now, let me tell you.”

While unable to train during his recovery phase, Aspinall’s mindset began to change. No longer a heavyweight fighter happy to be on the UFC roster, Aspinall’s focus started to become sharper. He made wholesale changes to his day-to-day processes, and eliminated anything or anyone from his life that takes away from his ultimate goal of becoming UFC heavyweight champion.

“I think that pre-injury Tom Aspinall and post-surgery Tom Aspinall are two completely different people,” Aspinall said. “I think before, everything was going well and I was just blaze about the whole thing. … And I didn’t realize how much I loved this sport and how much I want to do it until it was potentially taken away from me. I had no idea how much I am desperate for greatness until it was almost taken away from me. Now I wake up every morning and I can’t wait to go to the gym and train.”

Aspinall won his first five fights in the UFC before the injury just 15 seconds into the first round against Blaydes. Aspinall stopped eight straight opponents overall on his win streak, and the title shot was perhaps right around the corner if he defeated Blaydes. The recovery process from surgery gave him time to put everything in perspective, and is grateful everything happened the way it did.

“This is by far the best thing that’s happened in my MMA career,” Aspinall said. “By far. Everything was smooth sailing before. I was just so blaze about everything. I don’t want to say the hunger wasn’t there, because it was. But my hunger is off the scale now. Ask anyone who’s around me. I’m like on edge for greatness.”



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/Cbavxq4
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...