Skip to main content

Jorge Masvidal refers Nate Diaz to celebrity lawyer amid street fight case

Jorge Masvidal hopes he can make a connection for Nate Diaz that helps him put his current legal issues in the past.

Masvidal, who beat Diaz by doctor’s stoppage TKO in the lone “BMF” title fight in history at UFC 244 in November 2019, is looking to offer a helping hand to his former opponent after Diaz found himself in the crosshairs of the law after he was caught on video choking Logan Paul lookalike Rodney Peterson unconscious during a street brawl in New Orleans this past weekend.

Diaz turned himself in to the New Orleans Police Department after an arrest warrant was issued, and is currently out on a $10,000 bond. He does not currently have a hearing date scheduled, but when the time has come, Masvidal said he was told to try to make a connection with celebrity lawyer Bradford Cohen.

“Nate Diaz if you see this, I’ve got a top lawyer in the country who wants to represent you,” Masvidal told MMA Junkie on Friday. “His name is Brad Cohan. Have your people get in touch with him. He wants to take care of you. The dude is the man. I just remembered he has told me that. I don’t talk to Nate Diaz, but my boys at MMA Junkie can give him the message. Brad Cohan is the man.”

According to his Wikipedia page, Cohen’s roster of past clients includes Drake, Vanilla Ice, DMX, Dennis Rodman and Plaxico Burress. Additionally, Cohen represented Lil’ Wayne and Kodak Black when they successfully received federal pardons from Donald Trump in 2021.

Masvidal, who has his own legal case pending after he allegedly assaulted fellow UFC fighter Colby Covington in March 2022, thinks the situation with Diaz is proof of how cautious professional fighters must be in public settings.

“What it looked like to me is this dude ran up on Nate, and you’ve got to respect every threat,” Masvidal said.

“It looked like it was self-defense. But I don’t know. I didn’t see the whole video, I just saw one sh*tty angle so I don’t want to say too much. I just want to say: You can’t run up on people. You can’t violate people’s personal space and feel it’s cool to get away with. As good of an ass-kicking machine as I am, I give everyone their personal space. I don’t invade nobody, even if I have to ask, ‘Where’s the train stop?’ or something – I do it from a safe distance. You don’t want to be invading space cause you just don’t know.”

Despite Diaz’s ongoing case, it doesn’t appear his boxing match with Jake Paul on Aug. 5 in Dallas will be impacted. All signs point to the fight proceeding as planned, and Masvidal thinks it’s a compelling matchup.

On paper, Masvidal thinks it should be Paul’s fight to win. However, when it comes down to it, he envisions Diaz coming out as the winner.

“It’s just the time of it,” Masvidal said. “Jake’s obviously a lot younger than Nate. If Nate’s in his prime, I think he smokes Jake. But Nate’s been out of it for a while. I don’t know what kind of shape his lifestyle is like outside a serious training camp. He hasn’t been in a training camp in a while, so I don’t know. I think the odds are a lot on him. Jake’s been competing and Jake’s naturally a lot bigger, but all that being said, I think Nate just finds a way to tough-guy it out and just beat up Jake and break him down. I think Jake will run a lot.”



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/4ZapscR
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...