Skip to main content

Chad Mendes conflicted about fighting beyond BKFC 41: 'This stuff isn't a necessity anymore'

Chad Mendes hasn’t lost his desire to compete, but it needs to be worth it in order for him to continue past BKFC 41.

Mendes takes on Eddie Alvarez in the co-main event Saturday at 1STBANK Center in Denver. The main card streams on FITE TV with a $49.99 price point.

Mendes, a multiple-time UFC title challenger, said he’s still in top form but admits one of his main motivations is money.

“Money talks big time,” Mendes told MMA Junkie Radio. “Obviously I feel like I’m still in my prime. I’m not to the point where I’m like, ‘Man, I’m falling behind here’ and starting to slack in sparring and getting beat up or anything like that. I’m still doing really well. I have no health issues, knock on wood right now, but obviously I feel like we’re all playing with fire every time we step in there. … I have a family and for me, it’s like this stuff isn’t a necessity anymore.

“The money that I get from fighting isn’t something I absolutely need. I have some other businesses that are successful and doing really well. (They) keep me busy, and they’re things that I absolutely love to do, but it is nice to still compete. I still have the drive and hunger to do it. Just at the time with the UFC, in my mind the money wasn’t worth it. The money’s worth it now from the last two fights I’ve had with this organization.”

Mendes, 37, retired from MMA in 2019 before signing a multifight deal with BKFC in 2021. He teased retirement again in a recent interview, but as long as he isn’t taking too much damage and earns big paychecks, he could take one more fight after Alvarez.

“I said this might be the last one. I don’t know,” Mendes said. “We’ll just kind of see how this goes. If I go out there, and it’s a very successful fight for me and I don’t take a ton of damage and the money’s right and the opponent’s right, then maybe I’ll do one more. I don’t know. But I’m kind of taking it fight by fight. I wasn’t honestly sure if I was going to do another one after that first one.”

For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s event hub for BKFC 41.



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/0PhnQ7T
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...