Skip to main content

Olivier Aubin-Mercier: 'Showman' Shane Burgos won't win PFL season because he takes too many risks

Olivier Aubin-Mercier doesn’t think Shane Burgos has the fighting style to win the PFL season.

2022 lightweight champ Aubin-Mercier will welcome UFC veteran Burgos to the PFL when the pair square off in the 2023 PFL 3 headliner on April 14 at The Theater at Virgin Hotels in Las Vegas.

Aubin-Mercier (17-5) admits a matchup such as Burgos (15-3) makes him nervous but says his fan-favorite style won’t pay off in the PFL.

“Am I scared for Shane Burgos? Yes I am,” Aubin-Mercier told MMA Junkie Radio. “I do not think he’s going to win the tournament. Even though he was the best in the tournament, I do not think he’s gonna win the tournament because he’s too – he takes risks. He’s really a showman.

“He likes to be in traffic, he likes to throw a lot of punches, he’s taking a lot of punches too, and I think in PFL it’s gonna be really hard. I think he’s going to have some difficulties to adjust. I think he’s going to have to change his style a little bit. But with that being said, I’m going to fight the best Shane Burgos out there.”

On the contrary, Aubin-Mercier’s grappling heavy approach has paid off. He knows it’s not the most exciting, but the 34-year-old Canadian says he’s solely concerned with getting his hand raised.

“My goal is not to be the most entertaining fighter out there,” Aubin-Mercier said. “There’s a lot more people that are willing to do that and sacrifice their health to do that. My goal is to win. I change my style for sure every year, but truly my goal is to win.

“Last year my fight with Manfio wasn’t the most entertaining one. It was probably the most boring fight ever, but my goal was to win this fight, and personally, I don’t mind that. For sure for fans maybe it’s not the best thing, but my goal is to be the best that I can be.”

For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s even hub for 2023 PFL 3.



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/lJexoOB
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...