Skip to main content

Ian Machado Garry promises future UFC Ireland headliner: 'Give me Jorge Masvidal in Dublin'

Ian Machado Garry vows to bring the UFC back to Ireland, and he wants one of the sport’s biggest stars as his dance partner.

Unbeaten Garry (11-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) is on the rise after four octagon wins, most recently a knockout of Song Kenan at UFC 285. “The Future” already has his next assignment set when he takes on Daniel Rodriguez on May 13.

Garry has mapped out a plan to bring the UFC back to Dublin and would love to throw down with Jorge Masvidal (35-16 MMA, 12-9 UFC), who faces his training partner Gilbert Burns at UFC 287 on April 8.

“I know what’s happening,” Garry said in an interview on “The Craic with Peter Carroll.” “You heard me say it to Dana (White) in the UK, right, when I was there. I said we need to get them back to Dublin. The Irish have been starved of a UFC return and I’m going to bring the UFC back, I’m going to make it happen. I’m going to be the headline fight.

“I promise you, it’s coming. And it’ll be against someone huge. I’ll fight on the Conor (McGregor) card, and I’ll fight a guy just outside that top 15 that’s exciting, and then I’ll fight one of the guys. Like, if Burns beats Masvidal, give me Masvidal in Dublin. Give me him. Why not? Bring him to Ireland and see if he does it against me (what he did to Darren Till). I’m far too fast for him.”

Garry acknowledges that Rodriguez (17-3 MMA, 7-2 UFC) is a big step up in competition on paper, but the confident 25-year-old painted the exact scenario he plans on delivering.

“This is the first fight in a while where I get to study, like genuinely allow my brain to do what it f*cking does, which is just be so intelligent,” Garry said. “This is why my fight IQ is so much greater than everybody else. My brain will just tick and I’ve already got the map in my head.

“I can tell you how I’m going to knock him out. Right high kick and anything else, I didn’t mean. If I knock him out with anything else, I didn’t mean it. That’s the only shot I want. That’s the knockout I want, right high kick. I want him stiff on his back.”



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/Ih8jsA1
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...