Skip to main content

After undergoing '16 surgeries,' Ryan Hall targets fall return: 'We're on the back end of it'

Ryan Hall has been plagued with injuries in the past year.

Hall (9-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) hasn’t competed since a December 2021 win over Darrick Minner, but the jiu-jitsu wizard says he’s just had a string of bad luck ever since.

According to Hall, he’s gone under the knife 16 times to repair all sorts of injuries, including a torn ACL.

“It’s a bit of a saga,” Hall told MMA Junkie. “I spent about 10 years not being injured, then I just got a couple of bad luck (injuries), like getting fallen on a couple of times. (I) tore a hip flexor really badly prior to my first fight in 2021, and had a really, really bad tear in the bottom of my foot. So a lot of things started to add up. I broke my hand in that first fight in 2021, had that fight in December, and then went into the next year.

“I was going to do ADCC, going to do some competitions, and I had actually just agreed to a fight in August of 2022, but unfortunately got fallen on, tore my ACL, tore my meniscus and it’s been 16 surgeries since. But we’re on the back end of it, and I just had one on Tuesday, but it’s fortunately going in the right direction. I’m looking forward to being back healthy, feeling better than I have in a very, very long time, and looking forward to competing again soon.”

Hall, who challenges Ashley Williams for the lightweight title in the Polaris 24 headliner on June 3, will use the grappling match opportunity to gauge where he’s at physically. He hopes to be back in the octagon by fall.

“MMA is all I care about,” Hall said. “I want to come back and I want to continue. I spent years being in the rankings and got dropped for inactivity because of bad luck and people not being willing to fight. I had a bad luck loss and could have done some things better. But breaking your hand, getting head-butted, having all sorts of injuries before the fight – that was frustrating. But I managed to end 2021 on a good note, and I just want to get back to pushing forward and growing and learning and moving back to fighting the best guys I can.

“My hope is to compete around, realistically, August-September and then try and get in two this year.”

Previously ranked in the UFC’s top 15 at featherweight, Hall wants an opponent who will get him right back where he was. A rematch with the lone man to beat him in the octagon, Ilia Topuria, is on his mind, but he sees Bryce Mitchell as a more realistic option.

“I would of course want a rematch with Ilia Topuria,” Hall said. “Obviously he’s been doing very well, so that would be a little bit of a ways away. But in the meantime, I would love to compete against somebody like Bryce Mitchell, who’s a very good fighter (or) other people like that – anybody that would push me forward and be a big challenge and all of those people would.”



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/W2QO6ew
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...