Skip to main content

Bellator 291 winner Norbert Novenyi Jr. impressed with champ Johnny Eblen, 'but I'm coming'

DUBLIN – Norbert Novenyi Jr. knows he still has work to do but warns Johnny Eblen that he’s coming for him.

Novenyi (6-0 MMA, 5-0 BMMA) made quick work of Andy Manzolo this past Saturday at Bellator 291 in Dublin by knocking him out in the first round. Despite still being young in his career, the 23-year-old unbeaten prospect is confident that he’ll rise to the challenge of someday competing against Eblen (13-0 MMA, 9-0 BMMA).

“I can’t rush it. I know I’ve got so much to work on, and the division is full of killers,” Novenyi told MMA Junkie and other reporters following Bellator 291. “I mean, what Johnny Eblen did last fight was amazing. … I still feel like I have to get a couple of fights out of the way. I’m still 6-0 now, I’m still 23. I had a long time out. I want to get a couple of fights in, but I’m coming. I want all these middleweights to know while they’re doing their weights and pad sessions, I’m putting in work.”

He continued, “For me to outwork these guys, it’s easy. But my skills have to be better, my experience inside the cage has to be more, and I know that. I’m still young. I need to get stronger, blah, blah, blah. But I’m coming, and I want all these guys to know – and Johnny Eblen was here tonight. Hopefully he liked my performance. Again, he’s a couple of fights ahead of me still, but I’m coming.”

Eblen’s decorated wrestling background has given all his opposition problems, including his most recent title defense against Anatoly Tokov at Bellator 290. But Novenyi Jr. vows that his wrestling game is ever improving, and being the son of an Olympic gold medalist wrestler, he has the guidance to back it up too.

“I’ve been wrestling since I was 3, t-and-a-half,” Novenyi Jr. said. “I’ve got videos of me as a kid wrestling. I can wrestle. Since I was 14 I haven’t been wrestling as much, so maybe on that level, Johnny Eblen’s got that little ahead of me, but I know I can keep up with these wrestlers. I really rate him. He’s good everywhere, but the best skill he’s got is his work ethic and his cardio.”

For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s event hub for Bellator 291.



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/wIGcEet
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...