Skip to main content

Augusto Sakai relieved to snap four-fight skid: 'It's been such a hard time in my life'

LAS VEGAS – Augusto Sakai can breathe a little easier now.

The UFC heavyweight picked up a much-needed win Saturday when he outpointed Don’Tale Mayes (9-4 MMA, 2-2 UFC) for a unanimous decision on the main card of UFC Fight Night 220. Sakai (15-5-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) entered the event on a four-fight losing skid and winless since 2020.

It was a tough spot for Sakai, but he’s now starting to put that skid behind him.

“I’m so happy. It’s been such a hard time in my life these past couple of years,” Sakai said at the UFC Fight Night 220 post-fight press conference. “I started here in the (Dana White’s) Contender Series in 2018. It’s been highs and lows. I’m here for redemption. I’m here to write another history in the UFC.”

Often, a four-fight skid can mean the end of a fighter’s career in the UFC. Sakai told the media he felt no pressure leading up to the event, but that was all a facade. The Brazilian did have doubts entering UFC FightNight 220.

“Every time those thoughts came into my mind, anytime anything negative came into my mind, I would flip the switch and thought of something else,” Sakai said. “I just thought, ‘I want to come here. I want to do my best. I want to prove that my training and everything that I’m doing is working. I want to prove my worth in this organization.’

“Every time that thing came, that aspect, I switched it and thought positive things and worked out all right.”

For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s event hub for UFC Fight Night 220.



from MMA Junkie https://ift.tt/Ccjs1vN
via IFTTT

Popular posts from this blog

'Salsa Boy': The hilarious story behind UFC heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta's nickname

Waldo Cortes-Acosta ’s “Salsa Boy” nickname was not self-appointed – like every proper nickname should be. His curious fight nickname was earned and given by his teammates after a spicy story behind his cooking, not his dancing. Cortes-Acosta (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights in the UFC’s heavyweight division, hosted a party years ago at which he invited his friends and teammates from Ultimate Kombat Training Center in Arizona. “I dance well, yeah – but the nickname actually came from salsa I made for a party,” Cortes-Acosta told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “There were guys from Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Colombians – all over the place.” Training with many Hispanic people, especially those from Central America, Cortes-Acosta knew he had to show out with the salsa given the high standards and high tolerance for spicy food at the party – and he might’ve gotten a bit overboard. “A friend of mine, who we call ‘El Chimmy,’ and he already fought in the UFC, tried the sauce, and before he was ...

Max Holloway recalls near-nudity 'towelgate incident' with Justin Gaethje: 'I guess that's the whole beef'

One of the most exciting fights on the  UFC 300 lineup is the BMF title fight between Max Holloway and Justin Gaethje, and it’s one that doesn’t have any bad blood boiling over. Or has Holloway been holding onto a grudge since 2017? At the UFC 218 official weigh-ins, Gaethje nearly exposed Holloway’s genitals to the world after volunteering to hold the towel for the former champion who needed to strip down to make championship weight for his fight against Jose Aldo. Gaethje raised the towel in front of the scale, making it impossible to see the weight. The commissioner told Gaethje the towel needed to be placed between the scale and Holloway. An executive decision was made by Gaethje to save time. Rather than have Holloway put his clothes back on, move the towel, and get undressed again, Gaethje saw a quicker solution – and one that likely played into his favor as he was weighing in right after Holloway. “He even told me, he was like, ‘Brother, it just looked like you want...

Deiveson Figueiredo would love to test his striking against Sean O'Malley and Dominick Cruz

AUSTIN, Texas – Deiveson Figueiredo has moved to a different weight class, and with that comes many things – including new matchups. Saturday on the main card of UFC on ESPN 52 , Figueiredo (21-3-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC), a former UFC flyweight champion, debuts at 135 pounds when he takes on longtime UFC fighter Rob Font (20-7 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC). Figueiredo said he is happy with his decision to move up a division, and being a powerful and respected striker, the Brazilian is excited to test his skills against the top strikers of the division. “I came to this division to test myself and to test my striking, so that’s what I’m focused on right now,” Figueiredo told reporters at the UFC on ESPN 52 media day Wednesday in Austin, Texas. “I’m focused on the fight on Saturday, and that’s what I’m here for. Let’s see how this one goes. I’m not looking at a title shot right now, I’m looking to win against Rob Font to place myself in the rankings and see where it goes from there. “I would love to h...